Thursday, November 7, 2013

"Just Let Me Know When You Are Ready"

This is not what to say to a parent who is seeing their baby for the last time.

At the conclusion of the service, the gentleman at the Funeral Home told Baby Rylee's momma to take the time to visit with those who were there.  Then he said ...
"Just let me know when you are ready."

It took me back to what Nurse T said to me while I held my own precious baby...
"Just let me know when you've had enough."

Even though he said it in the kindest, most gentle way ... I felt like I had been punched in the gut.

I tried not to let it bother me...but....IT DID.    
I lost it.  
I tried to regain my composure, but the tears were flowing and I was on the verge of uncontrollable sobbing.
I had to get out of there.

I cried.  I was angry.  I had to do something.
So, I called the Funeral Home. I voiced my concerns.  The kindly gentleman and I discussed different alternatives as I explained to him that WE ARE NEVER READY.
In the end, he said they would / could say,  "Take the time you need."
Even though we NEED more time than we have, and there really are no right words to say, I guess that sounds a little better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment